BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Why you should get a degree

Any degree. Whatever interests you. As long as it is a legitimate degree it serves you well. I have just realized that. I have been a SAHM now for 10 years. It has been a fun ride, hard and aggravating, yet the best thing I have ever done. Yet, I have this thing inside me that wants to go to work. I have been trying to see if I can help my Mom find a job and in the meantime I have seen a few positions that interested me. I do the, "What the heck, it won't hurt to try!" My thing is, I am a bit picky. It has to be pretty easy to work around my kids' schedule. Because they are my priority. I just figured if I was patient, the right thing will come along. Well it finally happened. In order to be the easiest with my kids' schedule, I knew it would be best to work within the school district. I saw a few positions available at various schools, and 5 minutes before the deadline for the application was due, I turned it in. The following morning, yesterday, I got a call to come in for an interview in the early afternoon. Wow that was quick! I went in and interviewed for the position of "Paraprofessional for students with special needs" position. A part time position, another thing I wanted, working with older high school students with special needs. I had tried for the High School closest to me. They told me if I was selected, they would call that evening, if not then thank you for coming in. I didn't hear anything last night. So I figured it was not meant to be. Oh well, woulda been kind of perfect but oh well. This morning I got up and got my kids ready for the first day of school YAY! Doted on Chloe since it is her 7th birthday, and drove them to school. I went to the gym and worked out, and then went to the store. On the way I called my Mom and she said she hadn't been able to reach me on my phone. It was weird. Oh well, it is fixed now. I chatted with my Mom for a minute and then finished my shopping. My phone then rang. I answered it, and the lady on the other line said, "Jamie! I have been trying to call you since last night!" (seriously? what is wrong with this phone?!?!) It was one of the ladies from the interview. I got the position!! It wasn't at the school I had gone for, but the other one in town, and she was impressed. So tomorrow morning I start working. I have been busy getting everything together and arrangements made. My friend will watch Colton and the other two will just ride the bus to school. I am excited. Not really nervous, but happy that I can contribute to our family more.
Now why did I mention the whole degree thing? Because I couldn't even have applied if I didn't have one. That is becoming the norm. My degree isn't in education. Yes my minor was child development, but my major was Sociology. Proof that it doesn't really matter as long as you have one. I stopped into my step daughters dorm, she is moving here today, and shared with her and her cousin/roomie that, "See? An education does pay off!"

4 comments:

Brandon said...

Congrats on all of your accomplishments Jamie, you should be proud. Sadly, my pursuit of an online Bachelor's Degree in web design is a big joke that is costing me $8000. The web moves so fast that the only way to truly educate yourself in its development is to actually study and learn EVERY day on your own. Most knowledge taught regarding the internet and web design is grossly outdated by the time you actually earn a degree.

Congrats again! Aloha!

Unknown said...

Congrats Jamie!!! Good luck with the new job - I'm happy for you

Aplaceforscience said...

Congrats Jamie!

Brian and Becky said...

That's awesome Jamie, I hope you love it and everything goes well!

 
Free Hit Counter