BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hello

Well I have been informed by friends that I am not very good at this. OK. I am trying. So here is my updates.


Colton is doing quite well. No new seizures. He is on Phenobarbital, and he must take what amounts to almost 4 1/2 teaspoons a day. I had the hardest time getting him to take the stuff. Finally I called the Doc, and they gave me the OK to hide it in his Silk and Juice. Yes, I said, silk, he is allergic to milk. That makes it a lot easier. But now the poor kid is on zithromax, because he has still got an ear infection and bronchitis. This poor kid just can't catch a break. The PA said something about maybe asthma. What next? Seriously. But, it isn't anything that cannot be taken care of, so I am grateful from that standpoint. I will take him to the pediatric neurologist next week. Luckily, the neurologist from Primary Childrens Hospital makes a trip to St. George once a month. I may still have to occasionally make a trip up to Salt Lake City, but mostly go to St. George. YAY!! I am just so grateful that he is OK, and that we can handle his issues.


Dylan asked me to explain epilepsy to him. I thought and figured out a way to make a seven year old understand. I said that in our brains we have little things like stars (neurons) that talk to each other(electrical currents thru the right and left side of the brain). In people with epilepsy, sometimes those stars will say too much or too little or get mad at each other. That is when people will have a seizure. I told him that "it is scary to watch someone have a seizure, but more than likely he will be ok. just make sure that a grown up is with him if you see him acting wierd." Then this is how the conversation went.

Dylan: Didn't Uncle Jeff have epilepsy?

Me: Yes he did

Dylan: Didn't he die from a seizure? (this kid is a lot more perceptive

than I thought!

Me: Yes he did....(Now I am starting to understand where this conversation

is going)

Dylan: (he is quiet tears welling up in his eyes)

Me: But honey, Colton isn't going to die. We will make sure that he takes

his medicine and that he is ok. Uncle Jeff probably wasn't taking care of

it the way he was supposed too. And guess what? Grandma Hamblin has

epilepsy, she takes her medicine, and she is alive and healthy!

Dylan: I know, but I just miss uncle Jeff (k where did that come from?)

Me: Well I do too, but Uncle Jeff is in a really wonderful place, he is up in

Heaven with God and Jesus and I bet he is really happy. And one day we

will see him, and I bet he will give you a big hug...

Dylan: (smiles thru tears) I know, he loved me didn't he

Me: Very much. He used to tickle you and play with you. Tell you what,

whenever you feel sad about Uncle Jeff, go sit in his chair, it was his

favorite and it will be like he is giving you a hug. And remember Uncle

Jeff wants us to be happy, so try and think of happy thoughts and smile.

He can see us, and it will make him happy.


At this point Dylan goes and sits in the chair and smiles. Then he quietly said, "I love you Uncle Jeff"....Now just so you all know, I am not moping around over uncle Jeff. I miss him tons, but I have moved on. I will always remember and love him, but I have gotten a grip on the fact that he died eighteen months ago. Speaking of which, there is finally a gravetone on his grave. It looks so awesome. so there you go, there is my update. Thanks for reading!!!!

0 comments:

 
Free Hit Counter