BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 4, 2011

Day #3 Washington, DC


We got up and went to the local Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. Sad to say, that is the first time I ever experienced a DD. Then we went to a storage unit place since Bryce was going to be giving up his apartment and needed a place to put his stuff while he was deployed for 6 months. Afterward, we headed south. Since this was all so very new to me, I stayed glued to the window. Looking at everything. I got my first time in Delaware, and that is another thing. The bridges out there are stunning! Delaware was, interesting. Also a very short drive before we were in Maryland. I got to see Baltimore. Bryce had gotten us a hotel room in a town called Laurel. We got to the hotel and got our stuff in and asked the front desk how the best way to do DC was. This was the one place that he hadn't ever been to. Kinda neat to be a tourist with him! She gave us maps and directions to the nearest Metro station. We got there and got our day passes for the Metro and we were on the subway. We chose the L'Enfant stop. Well, Bryce did. I didn't even attempt to know what I was doing. We ended up in the middle of somewhere lol. After about 5 minutes of doing the, "Where the hell are we?" we figured it out. My first impression of DC was that it was very beautiful. We made our way to the "Mall" area, and decided to head towards the Capitol first. While walking the museums had caught our eye. The first one in particular got Bryce's. The Air and Space Museum. Upon a closer look we realized it was part of the Smithsonian! OMG! I got so excited! Why do you ask? Because that is a "bucket list" item for me. Ever since I knew there was a Smithsonian I wanted to go and swore that one day I would. Tho, this wasn't necessarily my cup o tea I have to admit that it was really cool. I saw the Wright Brothers plane that they used, the Spirit of St. Louis, and of course a ton of memorabilia from the space missions. Afterward we made our way to the US Capitol which was nice and then we went back towards where the Whitehouse was. Along the way my brother needed to duck in to one of the buildings and we realized we were at the US History Smithsonian. AWESOME! This was the one I wanted to go to. I was so impressed, getting to see Washington's uniform, tons of artifacts from our history, Dorothy's ruby red slippers, the counter from the "sit-ins". I coulda spent all day there. But we only had so much time. We left after a few hours and walked along to the White House. Another must see item. Of course I am only skimming through everything we saw, but you should get the idea. After that we were pretty tired from walking what we calculated as almost 4 miles, not including the massive museums we ran through! We found the closest station and made our way back to the truck and found a place for dinner. Got back to the hotel and settled in. Bryce zonked practically immediately after we got there and I had a bath and was soon out. A very busy day.

0 comments:

 
Free Hit Counter