BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

College Daze

Ever since I took that glance at my transcript from college, I have been thinking A LOT about my college career. It seems so long ago, but then again, it doesn't. College came easy for me. It was a lot of fun too. Well the activities outside of the classroom were fun. Too much fun. I can't believe some of the things I did....corn silk joints anyone? :) Classes were mind numbing and seemed to take forever to complete. I have no desire to go back. I can't count how many times I have been asked if I am going to go back to get my masters degree. I always follow it up with an emphatic NO!!!! This is the truth, I have nightmares about college. The idea of going back makes me somewhat ill. I have dreams where I am either failing, missing class, missing assignments or whatever and wake up in a panic wondering where I put that 20 page term paper on Karl Marx. Then I glance at that degree on my piano, remember and an overwhelming feeling of relief comes over me. Until these dreams go away, I have no desire to re-enter the world of University student life. I am content that I have a BS (BS, that always makes me laugh.) I had the opportunity to use that degree when I recently applied for a job. I wondered if it would ever have leverage for a position and I learned quickly that it did. It was for a part time position at my kids' school in the literacy center. I didn't get the job, but that is OK, I was just prideful that They had interviewed 6 people out of over 200 applicants. I talked to the principal while waiting for school to get out. I didn't bring it up but he did. He said that the final decision was between me and the lady who got the job. I thought that was pretty cool. Turns out the final decision was made because her degree was in education. I felt good that I had unknowingly been quite a contender for it.

I remember a conversation with my statistics professor once. He told me that I play the "dumb blond" act well. At first I was offended. He realized what I was thinking and quickly said, "no! no! I mean, you act like you are this ditzy blond who couldn't make it. I thought you wouldn't be able to handle this class, but you are managing to grasp it and consistently coming in the top of the curve! You play the dumb blond, but you definitely aren't!" OK, I guess that is better. Yea the class was quite difficult, for some, but stress and competitive environments always have driven me. But try as I may, I couldn't beat that damn brainiac that I kept coming in second to! At the end of this conversation he proceeded to ask me if I wanted to meet him in Mesquite so he could apply the statistics I am learning to craps. I politely declined and got the hell out of there.

I am very glad that I finished my bachelors. It was my goal. I could care less what my degree was in, as long as I got one. It is quite cool to tell people that I have a BS *snort!* Some people are surprised by that. "You have a degree? Really?" As their eyes get wide. Now my children can't seem to understand the point of college. Dylan thinks that I should be designing video games. "Mom, you went to that grown-up school, where they teach people that, so why can't you make a game for the PlayStation? It shouldn't take that long!" I just tell him that if he works hard, he can go to college and make the video games himself. He seems happy with that.

I also think about how hard I worked to get thru school. I worked two jobs during the summer and every weekend to pay for it. Yea my folks helped me, but only when I had paid everything I could. My summers were get up and go to work at 6 am making pies. I would work there til about two in the afternoon, go home shower and go to work at Rite-Aid at three until 9:30. Go home, and of course as a young gal, I wanted to have fun, so out with my friends doing God only knows what until the wee hours of the morning, home for 3-4 hours of sleep and then start over again. I don't' think I could do that now. I just remember waking up for my first job thinking....what the hell was I thinking, I am staying in tonight, I don't care who comes over! But then, I was out at the sand dunes, at a party or whatever it is I used to do. Some things I don't think I will ever tell hehe!

K so there is my blog for today. I am trying to write at least once a day for a week so that I can get into a habit of consistently writing here. Now I am off to make some pies for turkey day tomorrow. I know shocking ain't it that I am making pies? And some more projects. Here are two more that I make, they are my most popular sellers.

0 comments:

 
Free Hit Counter