BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gratitude

As a Mom, I struggle sometimes trying to balance the line between wanting to make my kids happy by giving them everything they want and not spoiling them. Well, I don't have to worry about spoiling them. They have Grandparents for that. But yes, I would like to give them whatever it is they want. Of course, I cannot afford that. I also know that they don't need to be given everything. They need to be happy and grateful for what they have. I have been trying hard to make them realize how lucky they are. Besides the disgusting amount of toys, they have parents who love them, Grandparents that adore them and a massive amount of family and friends who think the world of them. My friends and Toms friends all care a lot too. We do the typical, "Starving kids in Africa" bit when they don't want to eat what they are given. We try to get them to give their toys and clothes that they have grown out of to charity. Recently on a trip to the store, the Salvation Army was out ringing their bells. I thought, "This might be a good chance to see if they understand what we have been trying to tell them." Before we got out of the car I looked at Chloe and Dylan. I said, "You see those people ringing the bells? They are trying to collect money so that they can give help to people who are struggling. They don't have food, or clothes and a lot of the kids don't have toys." They peered over at them. I then handed them each a couple dollars and said, "Here is some money. You can buy a treat, play in the game room, or you can give it to those people and put it in the red kettle." We got out of the car and walked up to the front. I was so pleased that they both, without hesitation, put their money in the kettle. I was pretty proud of them and then Dylan told the bell ringer, "Merry Christmas!" Of course Chloe had to say it too. I was even happier when yesterday Dylan asked if they could take the money they have been saving and give it to the people at the store so that they can buy food for people. Moments like that make me think that I may be doing a thing or two right.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are great. I remember Dylan always wanting to help people! He is a little angel! Chloe is a helper too then all that Colton needs to do is smile to make a persons day! Whitni is a beautiful young lady that has always been the other kids best friend! We are all blessed!

 
Free Hit Counter